Learners at beginner level (Entry 1) will:
• Find and understand key information in simple texts (for example, opening times, letters, advertisements). Give basic information accurately in writing (for example, filling in personal details on a simple form, writing a message or emailing a friend).
• Communicate in simple, familiar situations (for example, conversations exchanging personal information).
• Listen, follow and give simple directions.
Learners who have progressed to Level 2 (upper intermediate) will:
• Read an authentic text (such as a newspaper or on-line article, report) and identify purpose, inference, main points and specific detail.
• Plan, draft and proof read a variety of well-structured texts (for example letters, reports and articles), using appropriate register and layout.
• Demonstrate accurate use of a wide variety of English vocabulary, grammatical structures and tenses.
• Use punctuation and spelling appropriate to the level.
• Plan and deliver a structured presentation, using accurate grammar and pronunciation.
• Take an effective part in a topical discussion, supporting your arguments with evidence and responding appropriately to the views of other speakers.
• Listen for and identify main points and significant details from authentic recorded material.
• Sustain conversations on a wide range of topics, using a wide range of English, including idioms.
• Demonstrate understanding of natural intonation, stress patterns and pronunciation.